Roll out the "black and gold" carpet…. California State University, Los Angeles announces Frank Edward Romero ('09), one of the most important Chicano artists at work today, as the recipient of the University's 2011 Alumnus of the Year.
A renowned muralist and artist, Romero is a member of the first Chicano Art Collective--"Los Four"--which forged and defined the Chicano Art Movement in the 1970s. His art has immortalized many of the historical events that are significant to East Los Angeles and Chicano communities in the region. Romero currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Plaza de la Raza Cultural Center for the Arts and Education.
Additionally, seven outstanding CSULA alumni, two remarkable individuals and two students will be recognized during the 37th annual Alumni Awards Gala Thursday, Oct. 6, at the Luckman Fine Arts Complex, on the Cal State L.A. campus.
2011 University Service Award:
* Annie Chin Siu, D.D.S., is a retired orthodontist, and Tim K. Siu, M.D., is a retired anesthesiologist and a World War II veteran of the U.S. Navy. Both have assisted in establishing numerous scholarships at CSULA.
Distinguished Faculty Alumnus:
* E. Frederick Anderson ('65) is a professor and founding director of the School of Social Work and Master of Social Work Program.
Distinguished Alumni Awards:
* Elisa Crystal Callow ('90), independent consultant, Organizational and Strategic Planning Program and Staff Development
* Roland D. Kelly ('56), chairman, Spectrum Asset Management, Inc.
* Maria Casillas ('78), chief of school, family and parent/community services, Los Angeles Unified School District
* Matthew R. Landano ('63, '68), director, Office of Safety and Mission Success, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
* Ronald Bension ('81), chief executive officer, House of Blues Entertainment
* Joan Feldman ('78), director of human resources, Benefits and Technology Solutions, University of Arizona