Mercado La Paloma invites the Southern California community to come together and celebrate Dia De Los Muertos through art, food and cultural events taking place between October 12th through 28th 2012. Dia De Los Muertos celebrations launch Mercado La Paloma's Cultural Continuum series, which feature nine months of bi-monthly programming highlighting different cultures via fixed media exhibits, live music performances, dance, lectures, workshops, along with cooking classes and tastings, allowing community members of diverse cultures to enjoy and teach others about their respective heritage.
Join us on the following dates of October to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos at Mercado La Paloma:
Calendar for October 2012:
• October 12th: 7:00 p.m. -9:00 p.m. "Renaissance 2012," Art Exhibit Opening, curated by Art Chabolla of Xamanism - FREE. The exhibit is inspired by the Mayan Calendar's Baktun cycle, a 144,000 day cycle that ends December 2012. The art pieces will explore the themes of time, death and rebirth and will include the works of Mario Sibaja, Elizabeth Retolaza, Enrique Britto, plus many more.
• October 14th: Introduction to Altar Making Workshop - FREE. Participants will learn about the history of altars and their significance to Día de los Muertos, as well as traditional components that comprise an altar.
• October 19th: 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Cooking Class with Chichen Itzá. Join Chef Gilberto Cetina of Chichen Itzá to learn how to prepare the traditional Mayan Dia de Los Muertos menu. www.cookingwithchichenitza.eventbrite.com
• October 26th: 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Cooking Class with Taqueria Vista Hermosa. Join Chef Raul Morales of Taqueria Vista Hermosa to learn how to prepare a traditional Day of the Dead Menu from Michoacán. www.cookingwithvistahermosa.eventbrite.com
• October 27th: Dia De Los Muertos Artisan workshops - FREE
Alter-Making Workshop. Participants will build an altar in commemoration of their loved ones.
Papier Mache Mask-Making: Participants will create and decorate a classic papier mache Calaca mask using traditional techniques.
Sugar Skull Decorating: Participants will learn how to decorate sugar skulls using traditional and new decorating techniques.
Papel Picado/Mexican Paper Cuts: Learn the basics of papel picado using simple cutting techniques and templates to create Day of the Dead imagery.
• October 28th: Dia De Los Muertos Festival 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. – FREE
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation is pleased to once again partner with Arturo Chabolla of Xamanism to produce our annual Dia De Los Muertos Celebration featuring an amazing offering of delicious foods prepared by the chefs of Mercado La Paloma. A dazzling array of music, theater and dance performances will be featured on six stages.
Friday, October 12, 2012 to Sunday, October 28, 2012
Mercado La Paloma 3655 S. Grand Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90007