In 1994, InnerCity Struggle (ICS) became an independent center to meet the Eastside's long-standing need for an organization through which the community could demand increased public resources, equity, and justice. ICS's work is centered in four communities: Boyle Heights, unincorporated East Los Angeles, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights. For 18 years, ICS has worked to promote safe, healthy and non-violent communities by organizing youth, families and community residents in LA's Eastside to work toward economic and social justice.
Early in our history, we recognized public education on the Eastside has historically failed to serve as a vehicle for improving the quality of life of individuals and families. As a result, ICS sees educational justice as key to our mission of working with the community for economic and social justice. The core work of ICS is developing engaged and informed youth and parent leaders who can act as agents for creating quality schools and improving their community. ICS provides the leadership training, knowledge and skills necessary for residents to win public policy changes through collective civic action. Through these efforts, ICS has secured policy changes that have increased opportunities for young people to access a quality education.
InnerCity Struggle is seeking an energetic, experienced Community Organizer to work with parent members of our Familias Unidas component in the role of Parent Organizer. Familias Unidas builds a powerful base of parents and community members who are organized to work toward educational justice in public education. Familias Unidas builds community and parent leadership that advocates for a progressive voice on issues and policies impacting the Eastside.
Primary responsibilities include:
-Identify recruit and develop parent leaders, including:
Conducting outreach at Eastside Schools.
Recruiting leaders and connecting with parents through one-on-ones, school presentations and house meetings.
Preparing and conducting trainings using Popular Education methodologies.
-Develop and build an active and strong membership base, including:
Coordinating monthly Coordinating Committee meetings.
Coordinating monthly General Membership meetings with Familias Unidas parent leaders.
Facilitating meetings, coordinating events and collaborating on organizational events.
-Participate in campaign development, including:
Conducting surveys to identify issues at local schools.
Building alliances with school representatives and parent organizations.
Mobilizing parents around ICS coalition work.
* Minimum 2 years experience in community organizing.
* Passion for social justice.
* Understanding of urban educational and social issues.
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team.
* A team player who is able to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends.
* Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
* Knowledge of computer programs preferred (Microsoft Office, Graphics/Layout programs).
* College graduate preferred.
* Bilingual English/Spanish a must.
* Licensed driver with own transportation.
* Interested in someone that can start immediately and can commit to position for at least two years.
* Experience working with parents and community residents.
* Ability to work effectively with school administration, faculty, staff and District officials.
* Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
* Knowledge of East Los Angeles community a definite plus.
* Salary based on qualifications and experience.
* Medical, dental, vision and retirement plan benefits.