A research finding published in the online journal Nutrition and Diabetes found people who regularly eat perfectly portioned pasta are less likely to be overweight and obese. According to the investigation, the traditional Mediterranean diet is a healthy eating behavior model.
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes eating primarily fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil, and the use of herbs and spices instead of salt.
Summer is the perfect time to try out some nutrient-rich, balanced pasta dishes. Chef Santiago Gomez and Passion For Pasta shared a few Mediterranean diet pasta recipes that you and your whole family can eat all summer long.
Lettuce Tacos with Ground Turkey & Angel Hair Pasta
Total Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 box Barilla Angel Hair Pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp sesame oil
2 pounds ground turkey, pork or chicken
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 red onion (chopped)
1 cup eggplant, diced in small cubes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh ginger (chopped)
1 garlic clove (chopped)
2 serrano chile (seeded and charred)
½ cup cilantro (chopped)
1 Butter lettuce (disinfected)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, cover.
2. In a large skillet add both the olive oil and sesame oil, onion, garlic, eggplant, mushrooms and serrano chiles and cook on medium heat until the ingredients turn light brown. Then add the selected meat (ground turkey), cook for 10 minutes more on high heat. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, salt and pepper and remove from the heat and set aside.
3. While the mixture is cooking in the skillet, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as directed on the box. Drain and add to the skillet with the meat mix.
4. Serve and use the lettuce pieces instead of tortillas, place the meat mixture inside them and enjoy!
Baby Kale & Goat Cheese Cannelloni
Total Prep Time: 60 minutes
1 Box Barilla Blue Box Cannelloni or Manicotti
1 garlic clove, (peeled and chopped)
1 medium white onion
100ml olive oil
500gr sliced mushrooms
50gr unsalted butter
2 cups sour cream
250gr cup goat cheese
2 cups baby kale
Shaved manchego cheese for topping
salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and cover.
2. In a skillet, add the butter, garlic, mushrooms and goat cheese, add salt and pepper to taste, cook until light brown and set aside.
3. In a blender add the olive oil, kale and the sour cream, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and return to another pan and cook on low heat until boiling. Set aside.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook each cannelloni slice for 1 minute and remove to cool in a bowl with ice.
5. Once all the pasta is cooked, fill each cannelloni with 2 tablespoons of mushroom mix.
6. Roll them and place in a buttered crystal baking dish. Add the kale sauce so it covers the stuffed cannelloni rolls. Top with manchego cheese and cover with aluminum foil before placing in the oven.
7. Heat oven to 400F and Bake for 30-35 min. until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Remove from oven and let it sit for 5 min. before serving.